Sunday 7 February 2010

Family Meal


(forgot the camera- photos taken with Stella's phone)

Last night was the usual family meal. Our 9 year old was complaining loudly that she did not want to eat the chicken stir-fry and broccoli that I’d made, as she’d had the same thing for lunch at school. Funny, she complained the same way the two previous nights. Either I have an uncanny ability to guess what the kitchen ladies are thinking, or there is a big white elephant in the room. I’ll consult the weekly school menu from now on.



Rather than eat, she made strange, half note sounds while throwing her arms around, a bit like a rap singer in reverse. Meanwhile, Our 12 year old was eating sensibly, while at the same time giving us a complete breakdown of the cost effectiveness of a Blackberry, a phone which she would very much like to own.

My husband and I looked at each other. “Who are your role models?” He suddenly asked cheerfully, wishing to change the subject.

“Not Mom, maybe you,” said the younger. “Yeh,” agreed the other, “not Mom, and not you either really.” I cringed at my husband who was happily eating his supper. It was nice to know that I was loved. A night out was essential after such blows to the ego…

I met Stella at the cinema- did anyone mention that An Education was actually a really creepy film? Wonderful acting, but yikes! We decided that a Bellini was needed after all that angst, and so we marched over to the Haymarket Hotel, to the Brumus Bar and Restaurant. Why Brumus? Can anyone tell me? I kept thinking it was Brutus, as in ‘et tu Brut?’ Would there be an assassination of a drink? Perhaps. Read on.

A lively, colorful, and comfortable place, the bar looked inviting enough, and so we seated ourselves ringside. The stools, though very pretty, were not very comfortable, and pushed one steadily forward. I don’t know about you, but a seat which is trying to push you off does not feel very hospitable, especially at a bar. Stella, who as you may recall (see 'Gish on Ice') makes astoundingly beautiful and supremely comfortable furniture, assured me that the beauty of the stools were in the line of the legs. Leggy and lopsided, they were perhaps, a sign of things to come.


The drinks menu was fine, with an array of Bellini-like choices, including a Watermelon Bellini, and a Perfect Pear, which Stella ordered, made with pear puree, Poire William Liqour, and champagne.

Their Classic Bellini, Funkinpro peach puree, Crème de Péche and Beaumont des Crayeres NV Champagne, did not inspire. Either the bartender was just very new, or this was simply not a winning combination. A clump of puree had sunk to the bottom of my glass by the time it arrived, and when I tried to stir it, the strength of the champagne made my glass just overflow with fizz. A little too sickly sweet, this Brutus Bellini actually made me reconsider my mission for the briefest of moments- mojitos anyone?

I should add that the staff, for all of the noise, confusion and disorganization behind the bar, was incredibly attentive, friendly and kind.

Role models for us all.

Classic Bellini made with champagne £11.50

Brumus Bar & Restaurant
Haymarket Hotel
1 Suffolk Place
London SW1Y 4BP
Tel 020 7470 4000

1 comment:

lucy said...

I think Brumus is an old roman name for Bacchus. I also think that there was a polar bear or small bear of some sort at London Zoo named Brumus - maybe in the early sixties, and that one of the Kennedys had a dog called Brumus.