Tuesday 3 November 2009

Gastro Pub no. 1

It was in a gastro pub in lovely Primrose Hill that the unexpected happened- a gorgeous looking drink appeared, complete with decorative strawberry, hanging on the rim of the glass, perched like a bright Sunday hat with a green bow.



I was meeting my friends Josephine and Louise, both full-time professional writers/journalists, and mothers of young children. We wanted to start a writing group, where we met once a month or so, to critique each others attempt at writing fiction. This was our first meeting, though Pauli our 4th member, and another accomplished writer/journalist and mother, could not make it due to babysitting problems.

The menu, to my surprise, had a nice list of cocktails, but no Bellini. Would it be possible…? I asked beseechingly. The first bartender shook his head no, and then deferred to the shorter, more Italian-looking bartender, who was very gracious, and offered to make one anyway. He said he had no peaches to make the puree though, and would either lychee or strawberry do? I chose lychee, and to my delight, it made a very good, Bellini-like drink. The color was of course very pale, but the taste just divine, made with a truly, good prosecco. High marks were also given for its appearance, all dressed up on a cold Tuesday evening in October, and no other glass to toast in mutual appreciation. I’d nearly finished it by the time the girls showed up- and not because they were late.

I joined them with a bottle of white wine after my initial ‘Lychee-ni,’ as I was now thinking of my lovely drink. They spoke of work, writing and family. What was so interesting in listening to them talk, was just how far back they all went, including Pauli, and also how very honest they were. I'm not sure how to articulate it- it could be because as a fiction writing group we are in a somewhat vulnerable position of exposing ourselves, our work, and so there isn't really anything to hide or bullshit about. I know Josephine better than I know Louise whom I've only met twice now, but who is really lovely - I think we bonded over the fact that we were wearing the same boots, and that we both thought that Pete Dougherty was mysteriously charming in some weird way.

I'm not articulating this well- my back is killing me, and I'm hung over. Anyway, as Bellini’s go, at £7.50, my Lychee-ni was a nice surprise.

No comments: