Friday 13 November 2009

Words to Describe Prosecco

Okay, so I got a little carried away in my last post, waxing poetic about nature, and so forth. It turns out that Prosecco, when drunk on its own, should be merrily enjoyed, drunk quickly, and not sipped at all. In the form of a classic Bellini, which is 5 parts fresh peach puree and 1 part Prosecco, it can be consumed either way, swigged, downed or sipped.

The words and phrases used by various wine writers to describe the taste of Prosecco are inspiring. You might really believe you are drinking the nectar of the gods, with Pliny the Elder on the banks of the River Tiber, in Ancient Rome. Apparently, the grapes that Prosecco is made from are that old.



Following are some of my favorites:

“gossamer frizzante bubbles tickle the nose”
“bready notes, luxurious edge”
“floral elements with some minerality”
“color of topaz”
“enthusiastic bubbles”
“the fact that it is Tuesday is enough of an excuse”
“pale straw with a forward acidity”
“relatively simple, non-meditative bubbly”
“retains the playfulness the drink demands”
“aromatics stimulate with a tinge of almond”

And my favorite, “mischievous sapidity.” What does that mean? I asked myself as well. It means having a playful taste, or something like that.

I would so love to try all of them- alone or as a Bellini, of course.

No comments: